You all know by now how much I just lu-lu-love to try cleanses, shakes, juices, fitness regimes, etc... etc... to keep my body working in healthy and happy ways and an expert friend of mine sent along her list of "101 Easy Detox Tips for 2013" and I wanted to share the magical info with YOU <3
Here are seven of my FAVS...
1. Take A Detoxing Bath! Take a 20-30 minute bath in warm water with 1 cup of Epsom salt and 1 cup of aluminum-free baking soda. The combination of the hot water, Epsom salt and baking soda draws out toxins (your skin is responsible for around 10% of toxin elimination). This bath also helps to replenish your magnesium supply, as many of us are magnesium-deficient thanks to our Western diets.
** taking more yummy baths is something I'm committing to in 2013 and I also love utilizing olive oil and essential oils made from plants that give you an aromatherapy bath experience!!
2. Drink Lemon Water First Thing In The Morning! A cleansing glass of lemon water each morning can improve your digestion, support your liver and boost your immune system. Just squeeze half a lemon into a glass of water and drink. Lemon juice is very acidic, so you should use a straw to prevent damage to your enamel.
**I do this on a regular basis and always try to use organic lemons with warm water and it is heavenly!
3. Eat Chia Seeds These seeds have a mild pleasant taste so they can be sprinkled everywhere. Add them to your salad, soup, smoothie, yogurt or oatmeal. Just like flaxseed, chia seeds are great sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, but they don’t have the strong taste of flaxseed.
**I am a HUGE fan of chia seeds! Love them! In fact, here's one of my smoothie recipes that incorporates them :)
4. Eat Kim Chi And Other Fermented Foods Fermented foods like kim chi, kombucha and kefir are full of natural probiotics. These ‘good bacteria’ support a healthy balance of gut flora in your intestines and boost your immune system. They also play a really important role in your digestive processes and promote more efficient toxin elimination.
**I totally believe in this tip! Very important stuff. You can easily drink kombucha- I buy my bottles from health food stores and love GT's Synergy brand kombucha drinks and this brand too.
5. Buy A Himalayan Sea Salt Lamp Himalayan sea salt is mentioned a few times in this list, for body scrubs and as a substitute for your regular table salt. But you can also buy Himalayan sea salt lamps to improve the air quality in your home. These lamps use a negative charge to neutralize pollutants and allergens in the air. Just switch the lamp on and it will start cleansing the air as soon as it warms up.
**I've actually always wanted to get one of these! Still haven't, so if anyone wants to hook me up.... ;)
6. Chew Your Food Thoroughly By spending a few extra seconds chewing each mouthful, you can improve the efficiency of your digestive system and prevent acidic build-up in your gut. This is because chewing breaks down your food, leaving less work for your intestines, and the saliva in your mouth turns it more alkaline. And here’s another good detox tip. The Chinese have always said that you should eat until you are three quarters full, not until you bursting. Follow that advice and you will both lose weight and enjoy a healthier digestive system.
**AHHHHH! I'm SO glad this one is on the list!! I preach it all the time. Digestion starts in your mouth, so make sure to chew and taste and enjoy your food there BEFORE you just gulp it down!!
7. Avoid Farmed Salmon (Or Any Farmed Fish) Farmed fish are raised in crowded and unsanitary pens. They are fed fish pellets that contain GMO foods, sprayed with pesticides and insecticides and dosed with antibiotics. And then we eat them! Switching from farmed fish to wild fish will get you a healthier, leaner source of protein and remove a bunch of toxins from your diet too.
**Another hugely important health tip!! The FDA just released its Environmental Assessment for genetically-engineered salmon and it is a disaster....and approval of GE-salmon appears imminent. GE-salmon is a completely unnecessary piece of food technology and will have disastrous implications for the ocean's ecosystem.
For the complete list of all 101 amaaaazing & easy detox tips, just click here!